The GaMERCaT is a comic that mixes gaming humor with mischievous felines. It started in 2011 as a fun little side project and quickly gained popularity from both gamers and cat lovers alike.
This slice-of-life comic features an appropriately-named cat with access to a large library of games and an over-active imagination, who literally dives into popular franchises and tackles topics in gamer life from a cat’s perspective. He’s haunted by a materialistic fairy and preoccupied with raising a gamer kitten protege, all while he and his cat friends fly under the radar of blissfully ignorant humans.
Samantha Whitten is a freelance artist working full time on her art to support herself. Her main project is running Sugar Bunny Shop, but once in a while she draws silly cats that like video games.
You can find her most active on her Twitter, but she also has Instagram, Facebook and Tumblr, as well as her artist website LittleCelesse.com.
For inquiries about The GaMERCaT please contact [email protected].
1. What gender are the characters?
Check the Characters Page for more information about the players.
2. Why is GaMERCaT’s name written with only the A’s in lowercase?
For no other reason than to resemble a gamer tag and make it more visually interesting.
3. Was GaMERCaT inspired by another character? He looks like Sissel from Ghost Trick, the cat from Nichijou, Chococat and (insert other random characters here).
Not surprising, given how simple GC’s design is. A black cat with a red bandana is admittedly not the most unique or original design I could have used. In any case, no, he was not inspired by anybody else. He is modeled after my pet cat and the red bandana was added to give him some kind of accessory.
4. Who owns GaMERCaT? Where does he get his money? Will humans ever be able to understand him?
Most everything will be answered in due time, or never at all. Just keep reading and try to enjoy it without over-analyzing it ;) One thing I can answer is no, humans will never understand him. It’s funnier that way.
5. Will you do a comic about (insert game title here)?
Possibly! I can’t take requests, though. I usually create comics from random ideas I have while playing a game, so it’s hard to just conjure one on demand. Especially if I haven’t played it yet.
6. I love GaMERCaT! Will you make products of him, like shirts and stuff?
There is now a selection of GaMERCaT merchandise available at Sugar Bunny Shop. Check out the Gamercat items here!
7. Can I use your comics/art for icons, avatars, reaction images, and other non-profit image sharing?
Yes, you can! Credit and/or a link back is appreciated.
8. May I translate your comics into another language?
Yes, you may! The conditions are you must not remove the website address from the comics, and you must link back to this website. You may not use the comics for any kind of pay-to-view site/app or for-profit endeavor.